RETURNING TO ADULT TUITION
We are delighted to advise you all that following HMG’s announced release from lockdown in England, together with cautious confirmation and guidance from the RYA, we are currently in the phases of reopening Queen Mary Sailing Club. This now includes the return of Adult Sailing and Windsurfing tuition.
The courses currently running are limited to single hander sailing (Level 1, Level2 and Start Racing) windsurfing of course is a single hander sport! Group tuition is running for both Sailing and Windsurfing.
TUITION - 5:1 TRAINING
We feel we can confidently offer tuition while staying socially distanced at all times, the group size is a gathering of 6 including instructor. We have put measures in place around the club and successfully completed our re-opening at the end of May.
SAILING AND WINDSURFING TUITION
Please read our guidelines carefully before you book or set off to visit QMSC and please keep checking them before making future visits, since they will be periodically updated with the latest information.
The COVID-19 preventative measures are vital to protecting health and wellbeing and to minimising pressure on the frontline services. We all have a role to play in adhering to the Government guidelines and therefore we ask you to observe the following:
THINGS TO EXPECT WHEN YOU ARRIVE
- No showers or changing facilities are available at QM at the moment, due to Government restrictions. So we suggest to bring a towel or a personal favourite a dry robe. Like a dressing gown made of towel material to wear while getting dressed.
- You will need to buzz at the gate to gain access. Park at the lower car park and follow signage on site.
- The meeting point will be at the front waterside by the stairs up to the clubhouse. Your instructor will meet you here.
- We have made a temporary outdoor shelter, in-case of bad weather.
PLEASE WATCH THE SAFETY BRIEFING VIDEO
Check our website for the latest information
- Are you fit to visit? Please do not attend QMSC if you, or anyone in your household, are feeling unwell or experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Book your visit: Please book your session on the club website, completing one form for each visit you intend to make. The time you book is your time to go out on the water, so please arrive up to 30 minutes before the start of your time slot to allow for rigging/launching.
- Before traveling: Please check the club website for the latest information; if changes in Government guidelines require the Club to be closed again, this will be communicated first at www.queenmary.org.uk
Sailing and Windsurfing - List of courses and booking link for dates below:
Powerboat Level 2 courses now available - CLICK HERE
Group Sail Coaching
If you're looking for instructor support to take your Level 2 skills up a notch or brush off the cobwebs, then this is for you. Expect a mix of abilities and focuses during the session. This booking does include the hire of club boats.
Group Windsurf Coaching
If you're looking for instructor support to take your Start Windsurfing Skills up a notch, or brush off the cobwebs, then this is for you.
This is not a session designed for upper intermediate or advanced windsurfers
RYA Intermediate Windsurfing
1 day weekend course from 1000 to 1700
Learn the RYA Fastfwd Formula and work towards planing.
Non-planing candidates focus on stance, control, tacking, harnessing and kit set up. Planing candidates also focus on footstraps and blasting control
RYA Level 1: Start Sailing
2 day course at weekends from 0930 to 1700
The ideal introduction to the exciting sport of dinghy sailing
Learn a range of practical skills and knowledge
RYA Level 2: Basic Skills
* 2 day weekend course from 0930 to 1700
* Develop skills and confidence to sail independently (minimum recognised qualification for hiring dinghies)
* Focus on the Five Essentials to improve sailing techniques
RYA Start Racing
2 Saturdays or a full weekend from 0930 to 1700
An enjoyable introduction to club racing
Boats used are typically Lasers
Focus on boat handling, starts, mark rounding, racing rules, tactics and tuning.
RYA Start Windsurfing
2 day course from 0930 to 1430
Develop the skills and confidence to windsurf independently (minimum recognised qualification for hiring windsurf kit)
Learn a range of practical skills on the way to becoming a confident windsurfer