WE ARE HERE! - RETURNING TO TUITION
Updated on Saturday 27th June.
Weeks of 6th July and 13th July to run as Half Day courses - Booking below.
We are in the process of contacting everyone booked during the first two weeks of July, thank you to everyone accommodating the changes and being so understanding. Decisions on weeks later in the summer, to either run as full day or half day, will be made when we have further guidance from the RYA and have seen group courses working with our Covid-19 operation procedures in place.
Normal online booking via the 'courses' page has been disabled so that we can accommodate all prior bookings later in the summer. Booking links at the bottom of this page are active spaces for our week 1 and 2 half days.
In line with Government announcements, we opened the Sailing Club at the end of May and our members have since been back enjoying the water. There is a real buzz about the place and it has been brilliant to see so many happy faces on the water.
This has been a challenging time as you can appreciate a lot of work has gone in to making the club safe to re-open for visitors and staff; we are in a good position with five weeks of operation under our belts now.
News received on Friday 19th June that the UK Covid-19 Alert Level was moving from 4 to Level 3 was very welcome. We expect to see changes in restrictions in the coming days which will impact plans for the summer, indeed what is mentioned in the update is subject to change. Our current COVID-19 guidance will always be most up to date on the club website, with the activities we can offer constantly evolving.
We are very grateful for the patience and understanding from everyone who missed courses at the start of the season as we’ve navigated this challenge.
Junior Summer Courses
Will go ahead - but with social distance restrictions and we will not be able to operate at the levels we were before, as a result will not be offering the full range of courses that you have come to know and love.
Week 6th July and 13th July will run as half day courses
Our challenge is that we are not allowed indoors to do training, to using the changing rooms or for shelter if the conditions are bad. We hope these restrictions will change by mid July and currently await further guidance from the RYA, on the 4th July changes.
Booking links can be found below for the courses we are running in these first two weeks.
Current activities, what we can do
- 1:1 or 1:2 Personal tuition, a great way to dust off the cobwebs!
- We can run group sessions with an instructor and up to 5 participants (6 people being the maximum number of a gathering).
- We can go Sailing, Windsurfing, SUPing and run all activities on the water, whilst following government guidance and maintaining the social distancing rules. So most RYA courses and Multi Activity will be running, with the exception of double handed sailing at the moment .
- We can use outdoor spaces and shelters but cannot go indoors other than to use the toilet facilities, we have two large marquees coming to help alleviate this problem.
There is much we can do, but there will be some courses that will not be allowed to run. As you can appreciate there will be a lot of changes required for it to be business as usual; and we want to give you our assurance that your safety and welfare is our absolute priority.
Timeline so far
- Saturday 23rd May: The Sailing Club reopened
- Wednesday 8th June: 1:1 personal tuition restarted
- Saturday 11th June: Day sailing started for non-members
- Saturday 20th June: We will run our first adult 5:1 group tuition course for both sailing and windsurfing.
- Level 3 guidance released in the next coming days - review plans for summer courses, following this latest guidance.
- Announcement of plans - management of courses and bookings.
- Participant joining instructions.
- Monday 6th July: First week Summer Courses!
- Continue with updates as restrictions and guidance change
It is predicted that in July we will be operating at around 25% capacity, building to possibly 40% capacity at the end of August. We are looking at all kinds of solutions to make it happen and get people active again on the water.
Options to consider if your course booking is affected
- Switch to a course that is running - try something new.
- Move booking to later in the holiday when course is running.
- Swap your booking for a membership and go sailing or windsurfing!
- Roll over to 2021
- And, of course - Get a full refund
Thank you for staying with us as we journey through these challenging waters, we are lucky to be an outdoor sport and have the doors open again. The only thing constant is change!
Please keep visiting the website for the latest information. If you have any issues, please get in contact by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank for reading, thank you for supporting, stay safe and we look forward to seeing you back on the water at Queen Mary.
The QM team
Booking below - Half Day (5-day week) courses starting 6th and 13th July
Improver Sailing (10-15yrs): Stages 2/3 HALF DAY (5-day course)
Improver Windsurfing (9-15yrs): Stages 3/4 HALF DAY (5-day course)
Learn to Windsurf (9-15yrs): Stages 1/2 HALF DAY (5-day course)
Multi Activity (10-15yrs): Waterfun HALF DAY (5-day course)
Start Racing HALF DAY (5-day course)