Stand Up Paddle Boarding
SUPing is great fun as a sport, it is great for maintaining fitness and it can be a competitive sport. Follow us on face book and tiwtter to find out about open days and taster sessions as we open the Queen Mary water for Stand Up Paddle Boarding
How can I SUP at Queen Mary?
With the right conditions there are three ways to SUP
- You can rock up with your board, pay for a day SUP and go SUPing
- You can Hire kit: £15 per hour
- You can become a member and go supping anytime (please call for details)
How much experience needed to hire?
SUPing is such an accessible sport, easy to pick up, that anyone can hire our SUP equipment as long as you have some experience and water confidence. We offer SUP taster sessions which are detailed below.
Never been SUPping? then on your first time we can organise a SUP taster session. This starts with a 20 minute land-based training session followed by an on the water session learning the basics and having a splash about. A Taster Session is the same price as hire £15 per hour, no booking required but weather dependent.
QM are always offering last minute taster sessions when the weather is right, keep an eye on the website & Facebook page for last minute offers!
When can I go SUPing?Basically the wind conditions for SUPing have to be right, if it is too windy then is is very difficult and can become dangerous. If it is looking too windy then please ring up and ask, we are happy to give advice.
Where can I SUP
Unless it is displayed otherwise on the 'Daily Information Board' in the foyer, the SUP area will be on the West side from the end of the bund round to the Extraction Plant, and SUPers must stay within 20m of the bank. Alternative areas (displayed on the 'Daily Information Board') can be marked out by:
- Large white buoys with distinctive yellow markings to mark the outer limits
- To stay within 20 meters of the bank in other areas of the reservoir
- To open the whole of either side of the reservoir on a completely flat day with no forecast wind and limited other use
What kit does QM have?
- A mixture of Starboard Atlas 12' and Whopper 10' which are a solid construction
- Along side a mixture of Red Paddle co. Ride 10'6" and Mega 10'8" which are inflatable
- The Red Paddle co. XL SUP which is great for groups and birthdays!
Let's go SUPING!