Welcome to the London Youth Games
The 2021 London Youth Games for sailing took place at Queen Mary Sailing Club over the weekend of 26/27 June 2021.
We've had a break, but now we're back and looking forward to seeing you all in 2021!
The London Youth Games have been inspiring young Londoners since 1977, when they were launched to mark the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. Since then, borough teams have competed on an annual basis for the prestigious Jubilee Trophy.
Primary and seconday schools right across London come together every year at the School Games. They face off in four kinds of competition: intra-school, local inter-school, county finals and the School Games National Finals. Sailing is just one of the many sports that make up the games.
This web page is to provide information on the Queen Mary, including Boat Hire (scroll to the bottom of this page to book now), club opening times etc.
If you're interested in entering the Sailing Regatta, please contact Pia Davies at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in entering a team.
London Youth Games website.
Competitors with boats (Click here for PDF)
- Should follow the instructions of marshals at all times (most will be wearing high-visibility jackets).
- Due to limited space, cars on upper level may not be left unattended at any time, nor may cars be parked there, except for those using our Disabled Parking Bays.
- Unload your boat and move it to the boat park as directed.
- After unloading your boat please immediately take your car to the car park on the lower level.
- It is a competitor's responsibility to clean the underside of their boat before leaving the site, using the wash stations in either the boat park or the lower car park.
All visitors and competitors
- To enter and exit the main gates, press the intercom button on the lower keypad, await instructions and enter / exit on the green traffic light - on NO account 'tailgate'.
- Please follow the marshals' instructions for parking.
- No dogs are allowed on site except working Assistance Dogs.
- Registration in the Marquee will begin at 8.00 am on each day of racing.
- Briefing for competitors will be held at 09.30 on each day of racing, on the ground floor.
- Morning racing is scheduled to start at 10.30 and afternoon racing scheduled to start at 14.00 on each day of racing.
- Changing rooms and toilets are located on the ground floor of the Clubhouse; including Disabled access facilities.
- All competitors and support staff must wear correctly fastened buoyancy aids while on the water.
- All spectators and competitors not launching or landing their boats shall not go onto the sloping banks or pontoons of the reservoir.
- Bar and catering is available on the upper deck throughout the day.
Boat Drop Off & Pick Up
If you are bringing your own dinghy, access to the club is during opening hours only (see below for the specific opening hours around the event). Please call the office prior to arriving to get confirmation of where your kit can be left. There will be limited boat storage options on the upper level in the boat park, with most boats being stored on the lower level before and/or after the event.
Outside of club opening times, access is not available to the club and grounds secured.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday : 0900-1700
Saturday and Sunday : 0700-1830
We have 4 Toppers available for hire, at a cost of £30 per day. Boat hire is per day and is bookable through our website - see the links below. If you require the use of a boat for the full weekend you must book it out for each day. Payment is needed at time of booking and we are unable to invoice for boat hire.
- Boat insurance is provided by QM (damage waiver up to £400 for damage sustained through negligence)
- The Terms & Conditions for LYG boat hire are available below
- The Hire Agreement Form will be emailed out at time of booking so can be downloaded and completed prior to arriving on the day
Any enquiries regarding the hiring of boats for this event please call the office on 01784 248881.
TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR LYG BOAT HIRE
- Hirers are responsible for communicating to Queen Mary Sailing Club their ability relative to the weather conditions and choice of craft. The Duty Officer on the day will decide on eligibility for hire in the conditions.
- Minimum ability levels (further restrictions may be imposed in stronger wind conditions and busier racing environments):
Dinghy sailing: Adults: RYA Level 2 Juniors: RYA Stage 3
- MASTHEAD FLOATS MUST BE USED ON ALL DOUBLEHANDED DINGHIES and are provided
- Hirers must keep within the designated sailing areas and must not sail within the exclusion zones around dredgers, as indicated by the surrounding buoys.
- Directions of the Duty Officer and Safety Boat Drivers must be followed at all times.
- All equipment hire includes use of wetsuits. Wetsuits or drysuits must be worn from November 1 to March 31 by all water users.
- All equipment hire includes buoyancy aids which should be correctly worn at all times whilst on the water, pontoon or banks.
- Hire rate is as agreed by QM
- Should damage be sustained to the dinghy or a claim be made against the hirer, the damage waiver is a maximum of £400
- Credit/debit card details will be kept securely by the QM office should a successful claim be brought against the hirer post event. QM will make every effort to contact via the details above before a charge is made, however should no communication be possible, QM reserve the right to charge a fair price to the card details provided.
- All equipment damage must be reported at reception as soon as practicable and must be paid for unless the damage is deemed to be due to reasonable wear and tear.
- A responsible adult must remain on site to supervise under-18’s hiring
- Queen Mary Sailing Club reserve the right to refuse or curtail hire at any time for reasons of safety or if the weather conditions become unsuitable or for any other reason.