Queen Mary Youth Open Meeting
This event is open to the following classes and is the final event in the Traveller Series, as well as being Queen Mary Sailing Club’s Youth Open meeting:
- Topper £20
- Laser Radial £20
- RS Tera Sport £20
- RS Feva XL £25
Registration will begin at 09:00 (Upper deck of the Clubhouse)
The Race Briefing will take place at 09:45, again on the Upper deck of the Clubhouse
We plan to run 4 races, with the warning signal sequence starting at 10:40. The aim is for 2 races, then an on-shore break for approximately one hour to allow competitors to have a quick lunch and a comfort break, followed by a further 2 races (weather conditions permitting). Classes will start separately, but at the Race Officer’s discretion, class starts may be combined.
Prizes will be awarded to the two highest placed boats in each fleet, or the integer of the square root of the number of entries in each class, whichever is the larger. We will aim to get the Prize Giving celebrations underway as soon as practicable after the end of the last race.
Everything will be explained in the briefing, but you may find this information helpful!
Flags Used and What they Mean There are flags used ashore and on the committee boat that you need to be familiar with. These are the class flags we will be using and the flag that signals you can launch and sail out to the racing area.
Making the most of your day at Queen Mary Sailing Club:
- To enter and exit the main gates, press the intercom button on the lower keypad, await instructions and enter / exit on the green traffic light - on NO account 'tailgate'. The gate access code for the event will be issued upon registration.
- Do drop your boat off in the boat park which will be accessible from 08:00; then move car down to the Lower Car Park – please be aware that we have a single track roadway, so please be considerate to others, particularly if they are towing a boat and you are not!
- Come up the steps at the far end of the car park and you will find the Clubhouse at the top
- Do leave your dog at home – Thames Water bye-laws stipulate that no dogs are allowed on-site
- Do make a note of our entry/exit code for the event so you can leave the site without needing to buzz us on the intercom. There will be signs around the Clubhouse!
- When you register, do make sure that the sail number visible on your sail is the one you use on registration - to help our Race Management Team ensure all results are correctly allocated to competitors!
- Do feel free to enjoy the view from the Clubhouse and all the facilities – our caterers will be open throughout the day (cash is best!)
- Please be aware that it is not possible to walk around the reservoir, so leave the gates shut and stay within the sailing club's grounds
- QM Team Staff will be happy to help – just look out for those with uniform and radios
- Anyone helping with launching and recovery (on pontoons or sloping banks) MUST wear a buoyancy aid – no one else is permitted on pontoons or the banks
- Do look after your own/your competitors’ valuables
- To make leaving the club later in the day easier, we recommend you moving trailers down once the first race is underway, then at the end of racing, walk your boat down and sort everything out in the Lower Car Park – this avoids congestion and speeds up the process of leaving after prize-giving
Need to hire a boat for the event? Please call the Office on 01784 248881. Cost per day will be £25 and equipment hired will be subject to normal QMSC hire conditions.
Boat Drop Off & Pick Up
Should you need to drop your equipment off before Saturday 29th, access to the club is during opening hours only (see below for the specific opening hours around the event). Please call the office prior to arriving to get confirmation of where your kit can be left. There will be limited boat storage options on the upper level in the boat park, with most boats being stored on the lower level before and/or after the event.
Outside club opening times, access is not available to the club and grounds secured.
Drop Off / Collection Times
Monday to Sunday between the hours of 09:00-16:00
Board and Boat Hire
We have 4 Fevas, 6 Teras and 6 Toppers available for hire, at a cost of £25 per day. Hire is per day. Payment is needed at time of booking and we are unable to invoice for boat hire.
Boat insurance is provided by QM (damage waiver up to £400 for damage sustained through negligence)
The Terms & Conditions for QM Youth Open 2018 boat hire are available below
The Hire Agreement Form can be downloaded and completed prior to arriving on the day
Any enquiries regarding the hiring of boats for this event please contact Janet Hawkins - email@example.com or Paul Adams – firstname.lastname@example.org / 01784 248881
TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR QM Youth Open 2018 BOAT HIRE
Hirers are responsible for communicating to Queen Mary Sailing Club their ability relative to the weather conditions and choice of craft. The Duty Officer on the day will decide on eligibility for hire in the conditions.
Minimum ability levels (further restrictions may be imposed in stronger wind conditions and busier racing environments):
Dinghy sailing: Juniors: RYA Stage 3
MASTHEAD FLOATS MUST BE USED ON ALL DOUBLEHANDED DINGHIES and are provided
Hirers must keep within the designated sailing areas and must not sail within the exclusion zones around dredgers, as indicated by the surrounding buoys.
Directions of the Duty Officer and Safety Boat Drivers must be followed at all times.
All equipment hire includes use of wetsuits. Wetsuits or drysuits must be worn from November 1 to March 31 by all water users.
All Windsurfers are required to wear a wetsuit
All equipment hire includes buoyancy aids which should be correctly worn at all times whilst on the water, pontoon or banks.
Hire rate is as agreed by QM
Should damage be sustained to the dinghy or a claim be made against the hirer, the damage waiver is a maximum of £400
Credit/debit card details will be kept securely by the QM office should a successful claim be brought against the hirer post event. QM will make every effort to contact via the details above before a charge is made, however should no communication be possible, QM reserve the right to charge a fair price to the card details provided.
All equipment damage must be reported at reception as soon as practicable and must be paid for unless the damage is deemed to be due to reasonable wear and tear.
A responsible adult must remain on site to supervise under-18’s hiring
Queen Mary Sailing Club reserve the right to refuse or curtail hire at any time for reasons of safety or if the weather conditions become unsuitable or for any other reason.