Stand Up Paddle Boarding
SUPing is great fun as a social activity, for maintaining fitness and it can be a competitive sport.
How can I SUP at Queen Mary?
With the right conditions there are three ways to SUP
- You can rock up with your board, pay for a day SUP and go SUPing
- You can Hire kit: link below
- You can become a member and go supping anytime
How much experience needed to hire?
SUPing is a very accessible sport, easy to pick up, anyone can hire our SUP equipment as long as you have some experience and water confidence. Your first time SUPing will start with a 10-15 minute land-based training session and on the water orientation to learning the basics.
When can I go SUPing?Basically the wind conditions for SUPing have to be right, if it is too windy then is is very difficult and can become dangerous. If it is looking too windy then please ring up and ask, we are happy to give advice.
Where can I SUP
Unless it is displayed otherwise on the 'Daily Information Board' in the foyer, the SUP area will be on the West side from the end of the bund round to the Extraction Plant, and SUPers must stay within 20m of the bank. Alternative areas (displayed on the 'Daily Information Board') can be marked out by:
- To stay within 20 meters of the bank in other areas of the reservoir
- To open the whole of either side of the reservoir on a completely flat day with no forecast wind and limited other use
What kit does QM have?
- A mixture of Starboard Atlas 12' and Whopper 10' which are a solid construction
- Along side a mixture of Red Paddle co. Ride 10'6" and Mega 10'8" which are inflatable
- The Red Paddle co. XL SUP which is great for groups and birthdays!
Let's go SUPING!