This page is a resource centre for the Race Teams at QMSC. All are welcome to browse through the content here.
Race Team Benefits
It is currently Club policy that there should be no compulsory duties placed on members. However, in recognition of the cost savings achieved through members volunteering to assist with racing, the Club offers significant discounts off membership subscriptions to those members helping on the committee boat.
Race Officer duties as designated by DutyMan, are allocated OOD points to the average of the sum of points for Non-DNC races. There is a limit of 2 Sunday duties in the same series; and for Wednesday evening series 2 duties to count; any additional duties during that series to count for RO credits, but not OOD points.
Completion of 4 duties as Race Officer, assistant or helper in a calendar year results in £100 off membership or berthing fees for the subsequent membership year. More than 4 duties results in an additional £25 per duty saving. Completion of ten or more duties over any number of membership years results in the award of a QM Race Team Jacket.
Race Officer Training
If you would be interested in learning to be a Race Officer, please contact Janet Hawkins, Sailing Secretary in the office, on 01784 248881 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are gathering interest for those who wish to join our next Race Officer Training Course (Date to be agreed); typically the session takes place from 9.30 - 2.00 pm. This will be classroom based for the morning, with the afternoon session on the water. There is no charge to participants on the Race Officer Training Course.
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding Race Management at our club, please talk to Liz Pescod, Bob Joce or Janet.
Useful Information for Race Officers
- Click here for the latest Race Officer Update
- Club Racing Risk Assessment
- Open Racing Risk Assessment
- Club Race Training Course Slides (PDF)
- Race Team Checklist
- Club Race Flag Box
- Start Timings for 3-2-1-0 minute sequence, with flags
- Start Timings for 5-4-1-0 minute sequence, with flags
- Club Race Preparation Schedule - a handy guide to timings for race preparation for RO teams
- Link to RYA Website for latest version of RYA Racing Rules Guidance Book (and other resources for rules)
- Open Event Race Officer Review and Feedback form
- QMSC Rules Advisors
- Race Officer Sign-Off Checklist
- Wednesday Club Racing Course Diagrams (K L N P) - showing angles to assist with course setting
- Sunday Club Racing Course Diagrams (J L) - showing angles to assist with course setting
Covid-19 Information for Race Officers
- Covid Precautions for Race Officers - (updated) October 2020, useful information for Race Officers for Committee Boat and Start Line
Race Officer Duties
QMSC Dutyman Site - QMSC Uses Dutyman to organise the Race and Rules Advisor teams. The rota is shown below.
Click here to go onto the Dutyman site.
If the page has timed out, just click the link in the middle to refresh the page.