This page is a resource centre for the Race Teams at QMSC. All are welcome to browse through the content here.
Race Team Benefits
It is currently Club policy that there should be no compulsory duties placed on members. However, in recognition of the cost savings achieved through members volunteering to assist with racing, the Club offers significant discounts off membership subscriptions to those members helping on the committee boat.
Race Officer duties as designated by DutyMan, are allocated OOD points to the average of the sum of points for Non-DNC races. There is a limit of two Sunday duties in the same series; and for Wednesday evening series three duties to count; any additional duties during that series to count for RO credits, but not OOD points.
Completion of four duties as Race Officer, assistant or helper in a calendar year results in £146 off membership or berthing fees for the subsequent membership year. More than four duties results in an additional £36.50 per duty saving. Completion of ten or more duties over any number of membership years results in the award of a QM Race Team Jacket.
Race Officer Training
If you would be interested in learning to be a Race Officer, please contact Sailing Secretary in the office, on 01784 248881 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Information for Race Officer Teams
It may have been a considerable time since you last did RO duties and there have been updates resulting from the 2021-2024 RRS updates from the RYA. We recommend you look at the wealth of resources and information below before going out for your first duty.
We would ask you to read the latest Club Racing Risk Assessment before coming up to the club. We will ask you to sign off that this has been read, when you come to the Club for your first duty.
Useful Information for Race Officers
- For Best Practice please read Recording Race Results - Guidance Notes *** Updated November 2023***
- Click here for the latest Race Officer Update ***Updated January 2023***
- Club Race Training Course Slides (PDF) ***Updated January 2023***
- Club Race Start Sequence Sundays - 2 starts 5,4,1,0 including recalls *** Updated March 2023***
- Click here for the March 2021 Race Officer Refresher Session slides - a great visual guide (with notes) to the 2021-2024 changes to flags, reminder of procedures for RO Teams
- Click here for the RO Notes for Wednesday Evening Series Racing
- Club Racing Risk Assessment
- Open Racing Risk Assessment
- Race Team Checklist
- Club Race Flag Box
- Wednesday Evening Series 2023 3-2-1-0 minute sequence, 2 starts
- Club Race Preparation Schedule - a handy guide to timings for race preparation for RO teams
- Link to RYA Website for latest version of RYA Racing Rules Guidance Book (and other resources for rules)
- Open Event Race Officer Review and Feedback form
- QMSC Rules Advisors
- Race Officer Sign-Off Checklist
- Wednesday Club Racing Course Diagrams (K L N P) - showing angles to assist with course setting
- Sunday Club Racing Course Diagrams (J L) - showing angles to assist with course setting
- Scoring Codes Checklist - new for March 2021, a handy guide to commonly used scoring codes
Race Officer Duties
QMSC Dutyman Site - QMSC Uses Dutyman to organise the Race and Rules Advisor teams. The rota is shown below.
Click here to go onto the Dutyman site.
If the page has timed out, just click the link in the middle to refresh the page.