RYA Dinghy Instructor Course
Take the first step in your instructing career. This five-day course covers everything you need to know to embark on an exciting new career as an RYA Dinghy Instructor
Prior to attending this course candidates must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have an RYA Powerboat Level 2 Certificate
- Hold a RYA approved valid FA certificate (please see the RYA website for approved certificates, alternatively QM offer the RYA First Aid 1-day course)
- Have completed a pre-assessment to demonstrate a suitable personal sailing ability within one year prior to the Instructor training course - details of what will be required from the pre-entry assessment can be found in the RYA Instructor Handbook (G14) and on the RYA website
- Completed the RYA Safe & Fun Safeguarding course. Please visit the RYA website for more details.
This five day course starts at 09:30 each day, and the week will include several long days that run into the evenings and finish around 20:00. Course timings will be confirmed with candidates on a course by course basis.
The course is run by an RYA Coach/Assessor, and covers the following areas:
- Teaching techniques, ashore & afloat
- The structure of the National Sailing Scheme and Youth Sailing Scheme
- Techniques for teaching adults, children, and those with special needs
- Preparation and presentation of a lesson
- Preparation and use of visual aids
- The assessment of students' abilities
- The use of powered craft in a teaching environment
During the training course you will be expected to deliver a presentation to the rest of the group on a topic chosen by the course coach. Prior to giving it, you will have had training input on how to deliver it.
The course is moderated by an RYA Coach/Assessor who has not been involved with the instructors training through the course. You will teach a group of students, and be assessed on the safe and effective running of the session. You may also be required to deliver a short presentation, possibly unprepared, on an aspect of sailing. More details of the moderation can be found in the RYA Instructor Handbook (G14).
By the end of the course you should be able to effectively teach safe, enjoyable and educational sessions to adults or children. Successful candidates (also satisfying the course pre-requisites) will qualify as RYA Dinghy Instructors, and be able to teach Levels 1, 2, 3 & Seamanship Skills from the National Sailing Scheme, and Stages 1 to 4 of the Youth Sailing Scheme. Sailing with Spinnakers can also be taught with the approval of the Principal.
What to bring
- We provide wetsuits and buoyancy aids although if you have your own you are welcome to use them.
- You should bring: swimwear (to wear under wetsuit), shoes you are happy to get wet, a towel, a change of clothes, suntan cream, a hat, and a water bottle
RYA Dinghy Instructor
5 day course
Nationally recognised qualification for teaching dinghy sailing
Minimum age 16